Sunday 5 May 2013

Dresser Makeover

 Did you ever have that piece of furniture that you were so attached to that you just couldn't get rid of it even if it didn't have a spot in your house.  Well this is that piece for me.  I have had this dresser since I was a baby, so of course as my kids would say it is antique. My favorite thing about it is the lines around the top it is just so girly and feminine to me.  



Although this dresser has had many looks over the past 30 odd years it just has not been utilized in the right way for a long while and it needed to be brought back to life. 


 Yeah I know what you are thinking, ugly right.  It has been sitting in my laundry room for the past 7 years being used for crafts and tucked away.
I dragged it out to the garage and started to strip down the many layers of paint that were on it.  My intentions were to stain the top piece and then paint the rest of the dresser but when I got it down to the wood I seen this.  I tried a few different tricks but was not able to get the black marks out.  If it was just the little marks I probably would have gone for it but with the big mark in the center I didn't think it would look good.  So on to plan B, to paint it. 





 This little beauty got some new hardware which was painted and sanded to give the look I wanted.  And then I couldn't leave the ugly pink drawer lining that has literally been in there since the 80's so the drawers were given a face lift with some new drawer liners that I glued down. 


Although I am sad to see this go, she is going on the market this week to hopefully be enjoyed for many more years. 


20 comments:

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

That's a very pretty shade of turquoise and the top has nice lines.

Susan @ SunflowerHugs said...

It came out wonderful! I love dressers in that petite size.

Audra @ Renewed Projects said...

Great color choice. Sure to brighten up any room.

Crystelle Boutique said...

Oh my! the before is seriously ugly! You created beauty.....


hugs xx
Crystelle

Crystelle Boutique

Virginia said...

This is so beautiful, great makeover!

Julia @ It's Always Ruetten said...

So cute! I just bought a dresser to paint and use as a TV console so I'm scouring around for inspiration. This turned out great, thanks for sharing.

Found you via the Get Your Craft On linky party!

Cheers,
Julia
It's Always Ruetten

Unknown said...

LOVE THIS DRESSER MAKEOVER! Thanks for sharing...you are pinned and have a new follower:-) Christina at www.dearbeautifulyou.com

Betsy @ Anna Nimmity said...

It's beautiful! You did a great job.

Jamie-So Much Better With Age said...

What an amazing transformation!! I’d love it if you could link this up to our party, Give Me The Goods Monday! {1 party, 5 blogs}
http://www.somuchbetterwithage.com/2013/05/give-me-goods-party-7.html
Have a great week!
Jamie @ somuchbetterwithage.com
PS: I'm from Vancouver ;)

Unknown said...

Wow, You did a lovely job on this piece! I especially love the two tone coloring. It gives the dresser such a fresh pretty style!

Unknown said...

Great job on the makeover! What a big transformation this piece underwent! I don't usually like the distressed look on furniture, but I really dig yours. The turquoise had me at hello. Thanks for sharing!

Dawn said...

I would so hate to give that piece up. I am always amazed by what paint can do. It's a beauty now. Thanks for sharing at the Cabin's BUDGET DECORATING PARTY.

Angie@Echoes of Laughter said...

Wow! You did an amazing job! It looks stunning! Love the colours! Beautiful! Angie xo

thepaintedapron.com said...

Love it! great job, love the colors and the knobs! Makes me want to paint something today!!
Jenna

Erica said...

That turned out awesome! I love the paper you chose to line the drawers with.

Leslie @ Lamberts Lately said...

This looks great...thanks for sharing! This would be perfect to link-up to my new series - "Create It Thursday." It's live now! http://www.lambertslately.com/2013/05/create-it-thursday-1.html

Anonymous said...

Love it Lisa!

Unknown said...

Wow! I would never have guessed that before & after were the same dresser. Very impressive! :)

xoxo
Michelle
Ya Gotta Have a Hobby

Fabrik ETC said...

Great Post. I have not been visiting the site recently. Took a visit again and there were some great comments on the site. Excellent post. Keep up the good work.

Wallpapers

ANNE said...

love that colour combo!